Founded in Frankfurt am Main in 1721, our business remains family-owned to this day. You will find us in the city center, nestled between Hauptwache, Goethestraße, and Fressgass’– just a short walk from the monument to J.W. von Goethe, whose birth came a little over two decades after our founding.

Frankfurt am Main - Römer
Our story begins with silversmith Johann Albert Hundertstundt, who established a workshop at Fahrgasse 142 in 1721, shortly after being admitted to the goldsmiths’ guild. His entry in the beautifully preserved master craftsmen’s book of the time can still be seen today at the Historical Museum in Frankfurt. The business remained in the Hundertstundt family for many years before being passed on to employee Johann Ludwig Frey and his wife.
Paulskirche
During the mid-19th century – a period of great change across Germany, including the first convening of the National Assembly in Frankfurt’s Paulskirche in 1848 – transitions were also underway in the Frey family’s shop. After the heir’s untimely death, an employee again took over, journeyman Friedrich Carl Theobald. Initially managing the workshop on behalf of the widow, he assumed full ownership in 1846 following her remarriage and went on to lead the company successfully for many years.
Carl Theobald
Friedrich Carl Theobald (1819 – 1905)
Ladengeschäft Carl Theobald um 1900
In 1895, the workshop relocated from Fahrgasse to Steinweg to make way for new construction. Shortly thereafter, the next generation took over – Theobald’s sons Johann Jacob and Richard. In 1917, Carl Mies, a family nephew, took the reins and further cemented the enterprise’s reputation as a respected jeweler in Frankfurt.
Carl Mies
Alongside these accomplished men, there was always a woman whose contributions were equally vital to the enterprise’s success. At Carl Mies’ side was Adela Mies, who ran the business with her husband.

 

In the wake of Carl Mies’ death and the upheavals of the Second World War, his nephew Karl Mies and Karl’s spouse Ursula joined the firm in 1945. Customers had long valued the store’s warm atmosphere, personal service, and the discretion of a true “old-school” jeweler –qualities that remained unchanged when Karl’s son, Jürgen Mies, joined the business in 1975 and soon took over management.
Ursula Mies
Ursula Mies
Ladengeschäft Juwelier Theobald 1982
The enterprise relocated again in 1982 – this time just a few meters away to Rathenauplatz, giving rise to a modern, elegant space still in the heart of Frankfurt. From 1990 onward, Jürgen Mies was joined by his wife Marion, who worked alongside him in running the store, which remains at this address to this day.
Jürgen Mies
Jürgen Mies (1948 – 2022)
top